As we age, our skin loses elasticity, resulting in wrinkles, fine lines, and sagging skin. These visible signs of aging can make us feel self-conscious and frustrated. That’s where cosmetic procedures like facelifts and mini-facelifts come in. Facelifts involve surgically removing excess skin and tightening the underlying tissues to smooth out wrinkles and sagging skin in the face and neck. They are typically more invasive and require more downtime than mini-facelifts, which are a less invasive alternative that focus on lifting and tightening the skin in the mid-face and jowl area. Let’s compare these two procedures and learn more about what patients can expect when choosing one of these two routes for cosmetic improvement.
Patients in New Jersey and New York City can visit Dr. David L. Abramson for a facelift consultation, either mini or full. Dr. Abramson is a board-certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience performing facelifts and other cosmetic procedures. Learn more by calling (201) 731-3134 for Franklin Lakes or Englewood. Patients in New York City can call (212) 774-1828 to reach his offices in Manhattan. Patients can also schedule their consultation appointment via our online form.
Check in with the latest updates in cosmetic surgery and med spa treatments on our blog!
Before and After Photos
The Aging Process and Visible Signs of Aging
The aging process is a complex biological phenomenon that is influenced by a combination of genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors. One of the most visible signs of aging is the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, and sagging skin. These changes are caused by a combination of factors, including:
- The loss of collagen and elastin fibers in the skin
- Decreased production of hyaluronic acid
- A decrease in the number of skin cells
Collagen and elastin fibers provide structural support to the skin and help it maintain its elasticity, while hyaluronic acid helps to keep the skin hydrated and plump.  As we age, our body’s ability to produce these important components of the skin decreases, leading to a breakdown of the skin’s structure and function. This, in turn, leads to the formation of wrinkles, fine lines, and sagging skin. The loss of fat in the face can also contribute to the appearance of aging, causing the face to appear more hollow and less full.
While the aging process is inevitable, there are steps that we can take to slow down its effects and maintain our health and appearance as we age. This includes:
- Eating a healthy diet
- Getting regular exercise
- Drinking plenty of water
- Avoiding smoking and excessive alcohol consumption
- Protecting our skin from sun damage by using sunscreen and other protective measures
And when you want to reverse the signs of aging, or boost your well-cared for skin, a facelift of mini facelift can offer stunning results and take ten years off your appearance.
Facelifts: What Are They and How Do They Work?
Facelifts are a popular cosmetic surgery procedure that can help to rejuvenate the face and restore a more youthful appearance. Over 200,000 patients chose a facelift to restore their youthful vitality in 2020 alone! 
Also known as a rhytidectomy, a facelift is a surgery to remove excess skin and fat from the face and neck, as well as tighten the underlying muscles and tissues. The result is a smoother, firmer, and more youthful-looking face.
The ideal candidate for a facelift is someone who is in good overall health and has realistic expectations for the procedure. Patients should also have good skin elasticity, as this will help to ensure optimal results.
During the procedure, Dr. Abramson will make incisions in the skin around the hairline and ears. He will carefully lift and reposition the skin, tightening the underlying muscles and tissues as needed. Surgeons possesses a thorough understanding of the superficial musculoaponeurotic system (SMAS) – a crucial connective tissue layer located beneath the skin and above the facial muscles.
To achieve the desired outcomes, Dr. Abramson plans carefully and uses a technique that shifts the SMAS in a vertical direction. This approach can help:
- Reposition the diagonal groove under the eyes to a more youthful horizontal position
- Flatten both the upper and lower parts of the wrinkles around the nose and mouth
- Provide support to the tissue around the eyes
- Help relieve tension on the skin after the procedure; this is especially important in reducing the signs of surgery and promoting natural-looking results.
The ability to accurately separate the overlying tissues from the SMAS is crucial for achieving the desired outcome. This requires a high level of skill and precision on the part of the surgeon. 
Facelifts are typically performed under general anesthesia and can take several hours to complete. After the procedure, patients will need to rest and recover for several weeks, avoiding strenuous activity and following the surgeon’s post-operative instructions.
Minifacelifts: A Less Invasive Alternative
Minifacelifts are an increasingly popular cosmetic procedure that offers a less invasive alternative to the traditional facelift. While both procedures address the visible signs of aging in the face, minifacelifts are specifically designed to target sagging skin and wrinkles in the mid-face and jowl area.
Unlike a traditional facelift, a minifacelift is typically performed through shorter incisions that are limited to the area around the ear; this results in less scarring and a shorter recovery time.
Candidates for minifacelifts are typically those who have mild to moderate sagging skin in the mid-face and jowl area. A consultation with Dr. Abramson can help determine which procedure is best suited for an individual’s specific needs and goals.
Your Consultation Appointment: What to Expect
If you’re considering a cosmetic procedure like a facelift or minifacelift, scheduling a consultation with Dr. Abramson is an important first step. During your consultation appointment, you can expect to discuss your goals and concerns and learn more about the various options available to you.
You appointment will begin by a medical history review and physical examination to assess your skin’s condition and elasticity. Dr. Abramson will also take photographs and use computer imaging technology to help you visualize potential outcomes.
Dr. Abramson will explain the different facelift procedures available including the benefits, potential risks, recovery process, and more. Bring your questions and Dr. Abramson will be happy to answer them!
Non-Invasive Alternatives to Facelifts and Minifacelifts
- Silhouette InstaLift is a non-surgical procedure that uses sutures with bi-directional cones to lift and reposition sagging skin on the face and neck.
- Can provide immediate results with minimal downtime and is FDA-approved.
- The sutures are naturally absorbed by the body over time, stimulating collagen production for longer-lasting results.
- Cryoskin 3.0 is a non-invasive body contouring treatment that uses cold temperatures to freeze and reduce fat cells, resulting in a more sculpted and toned appearance.
- Can be used on various areas of the body, including the abdomen, thighs, arms, and buttocks.
- Also offers a facial treatment that uses cold temperatures to improve skin tone and reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Facetite is a minimally invasive cosmetic procedure that uses radiofrequency energy to contour and tighten sagging skin on the face and neck.
- Can be used to treat a variety of concerns, including jowls, nasolabial folds, and loose skin on the neck.
- Involves the use of a small handheld device that is inserted into the skin through tiny incisions.
- The radiofrequency energy melts fat cells and tightens the skin by stimulating collagen production, resulting in a more youthful and defined appearance.
- Generally has a short recovery time and produces immediate and long-lasting results.
- Can be performed in conjunction with other procedures, such as chin liposuction or a facelift, to achieve optimal results.
Managing Expectations: Realistic Results and Long-Term Maintenance
Managing expectations is an important aspect of any cosmetic procedure, including facelift and minifacelift. Here are some things to keep in mind as you consider your cosmetic procedure:
A facelift or minifacelift can produce significant improvements in the appearance of sagging skin, wrinkles, and fine lines on the face and neck. However, it is important to have realistic expectations about the results, as they will not be able to completely eliminate all signs of aging. The final results will depend on various factors such as age, skin type, overall health, and lifestyle habits. It is important to discuss your desired outcomes and expectations with Dr. Abramson, who can provide you with a realistic assessment of what can be achieved.
Maintaining the results of a facelift or minifacelift will require long-term commitment to a healthy lifestyle, including regular exercise, a balanced diet, and avoiding smoking and excessive alcohol consumption. Protecting the skin from the sun is also important, as sun damage can accelerate the aging process and undo the benefits of the procedure. It is also important to follow Dr. Abramson’s post-operative instructions, including avoiding strenuous activity and following a proper skincare regimen. Regular follow-up appointments can help to monitor your progress and address any concerns or issues that may arise.
Making the Decision: Factors to Consider
Making the decision to undergo a cosmetic procedure is a personal choice that requires careful consideration. Here are some factors to consider before making the decision:
- Personal motivation – The decision to undergo a cosmetic procedure should be driven by personal motivation and a desire to improve one’s appearance and self-confidence. It is important to make sure that you are making the decision for yourself and not to please others.
- Physical health – Before undergoing any cosmetic procedure, it is important to be in good physical health.
- Risks and complications – Like any surgical procedure, a facelift or minifacelift carries certain risks and potential complications. It is important to discuss these risks with Dr. Abramson and make an informed decision about whether the benefits of the procedure outweigh the risks.
- Recovery time – A facelift or minifacelift requires downtime for recovery. Talk to Dr. Abramson about how much time you will need to take off from work and other activities to allow for proper healing.
- Surgeon selection – Choosing a qualified and experienced surgeon like Dr. Abramson is crucial for a successful outcome. It is important to choose a surgeon who has a proven track record of success and is board-certified.
What is the Cost of a Facelift in New Jersey?
- Papakonstantinou E, Roth M, Karakiulakis G. Hyaluronic acid: A key molecule in skin aging. Dermato-Endocrinology. 2012;4(3):253-258. https://doi.org/10.4161/derm.21923
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons. PLASTIC SURGERY STATISTICS REPORT 2020.; 2020. https://www.plasticsurgery.org/documents/News/Statistics/2020/plastic-surgery-statistics-full-report-2020.pdf
- Stuzin JM, Baker TJ, Gordon HL. The relationship of the superficial and deep facial fascias: relevance to rhytidectomy and aging. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1992;89(3):441-449; discussion 450-451. Accessed March 10, 2023. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1741467/