Unbeknownst to many patients, some doctors perform plastic surgery procedures despite not being trained or certified to do so. You should not place your trust and care in the hands of someone who hasn’t gone through the proper training. One easy way to decipher between certified plastic surgeons is through the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS). Here are five reasons why you should only seek a board certified plastic surgeon:
- Training – Surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery must undergo at least three years of general surgery training and two years of plastic surgery training. In addition to undergoing years of training, ABPS surgeons have the lowest rate of complications when compared to other doctors who perform plastic surgery.
- Aesthetic Expertise – During their years of training, ABPS surgeons learn about the human body – what looks good, what will pair well together, and what will compliment certain body types and facial structures. What looks good on one person may not on another, and it’s best to trust an ABPS surgeon’s extensive knowledge to make this determination.
- Education – Beyond schooling and training, ABPS surgeons must meet ABPS standards and continue their education beyond their five years of training just to stay in good standing. This keeps their skills fresh and knowledgeable about new trends, research, and the latest technology.
- Exams – After an ABPS surgeon finishes his/her education, they must pass rigorous written and oral examinations and adhere to a strict code of medical ethics. This demonstrates they have learned and understood their years of training.
- Commitment – Years of training, rigorous exams, and continuing education signals a true commitment to plastic surgery. ABPS accreditation is not an easy task.
There are many different ‘boards’ that doctors can be certified or recognized by, but the ABPS is the only one that certifies doctors in the full spectrum of plastic surgery. Dr. Abramson is a board certified plastic surgeon in New York and New Jersey, so call for a thorough consultation at 201-731-3134!