On average, most women who receive breast implants will require a standard implant replacement about every 10 years. This is referred to as breast revision, or breast implant removal and replacement surgery. Additionally, women may want to replace their implants for cosmetic enhancement or because of medical necessity. No matter the reason, breast revision can be a good option for women looking to feel good about their breasts again.
Find out more about Dr. Abramson’s approach to breast revision surgery that helps women find their confidence again; contact Dr. Abramson in Englewood, Franklin Lakes, or New York City for a personalized consultation.
About Breast Revision
Breast revision is a secondary breast procedure for women who have already had primary breast augmentation with implants. It may also be performed on women who have previously undergone breast revision surgery and want an aesthetic change before the 10-year mark. For women who have undergone multiple breast revision surgeries, it is important that they choose a qualified doctor with years of experience performing both primary and secondary breast operations, like Dr. Abramson. He has decades of experience performing breast augmentation and breast revision surgery for women of all body types and ages.
There are a variety of reasons why women may choose – or need – to undergo breast revision surgery. The most common reason is time. The majority of breast augmentation patients are happy with their bust and come in at the 10-year mark for a standard removal and replacement with the same implant specifics.
Other common reasons why women undergo breast revision surgery include:
- Aesthetic change: Patients may desire a change in look from their original augmentation. They may want to change the size, type, profile, or shape of their implants. There are many options to choose from; Dr. Abramson is more than happy to discuss all of the different options available.
- Capsular contracture: This is a condition where the scar tissue around the breast implant shrinks and tightens, creating a hardened capsule. This is not a common occurrence, and while it doesn’t always cause pain, it is important to change the implant. A new pocket will be created for the insertion of the new implant.
- Implant malposition: Over time, the breast implants may shift position, leaving patients with unsatisfactory results. Dr. Abramson prides himself on his ability to perform exceptional breast revision surgery on women who have come from other surgeons not happy with the appearance of their bust.
- Rupture: With extreme force or a faulty implant, an implant can fracture internally or externally; this is known as an implant rupture. While most obvious with saline implants, this can also occur with silicone implants. This is why mammograms are important, so they can detect “silent ruptures.”
- Bottoming out: A specific type of implant malposition, bottoming out is when the implants move downward past the inframammary fold. Dr. Abramson is highly skilled at correcting this.
- Deflation: Breast implant deflation can occur as a result of the age of the implants, trauma to the implants, or general wear and tear.
Whatever the reason, Dr. Abramson is here to help patients not only achieve results that they love but results that they can enjoy for many years to come. Get started by contacting one of our New Jersey or New York locations and request a consultation.